How to install uTorrent client & Server Web UI on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
uTorrent is most popular Torrent client for Windows and unfortunately we don’t have any standalone native uTorrent client for Linux. Well, we have many alternatives but if you still want to use uTorrent client on Linux (Ubuntu) then it is possible with WINE in easy steps. Also, we will learn how to install uTorrent Server (Web UI).
How to install latest uTorrent 2.2 on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat?
1. Install WINE which makes possible to run Windows application on Linux (Ubuntu).
Go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package manager. Search for Wine and mark it for installation and hit Apply.
Installation will be completed in few minutes.
2. Download uTorrent latest version from uTorrent Downloads. Now, right click on the downloaded file utorrent.exe and go to it’s properties.Check the box in front of “Allow executing File as Program” . You are marking that utorrent.exe as Executable script.
3. Done! Open the file with WINE by right clicking on file and select- Open with Wine Windows Program Loader. The uTorrent client interface is in front of you.
How to install uTorrent Server on Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick
On popular demand, uTorrent have released a native uTorrent Server which is web based control. It is not a stand alone client but on Web UI and on forums it was written that it is not recommended for beginners but I say- Try it.
1. Download utorrent-server-3.0-21701.tar.gz (version may vary) from uTorrent downloads.
2. Extract that TAR.GZ file to a folder. Double click on the file named utserver
3. On web browser (Say Firefox) Type the following in address bar: http://localhost:8080/gui/ It will ask for username and password which can be anything (user – admin and leave Password blank) to see the uTorrent Server Web UI.
By default the content gets downloaded to the directory where you have extracted uTorrent Server. To change the default download directory, Go to Preferences > Directory and change the Move completed downloads to location.