How to Port Mobile Numbers using Mobile Number Portability in India
The much awaited Mobile number portability (MNP) comes to India with initial launching in Haryana on November 25, 2010. India has been slightly behind in getting this service as the countries like USA, Australia, Pakistan and many others had it from long time.
Telecom minister Kapil Sibal unveiled MNP in Haryana and said that it will be available throughout the country by March 2011.
Now that MNP has come to India, let us look into details what it is and how to port a mobile number.
What is Mobile Number Portability / MNP?
Mobile Number Portability allows you to retain your mobile number while changing from one mobile operator to another. For example, it will allow you to facilitate Airtel services on a Vodafone number.
How to Port a Mobile Number
1) You initially have to Send an SMS to 1900 in following format: PORT<space>Mobile Number – eg. PORT 987654321.
2) Therafter, you will get an SMS reply that contains a unique porting code.
3) SMS to the preferred operator quoting the unique code. This code is valid only for a few days and you will have to apply again if it expires.
4) Your existing operator will check with new operator & if there are no dues then approval will be given for porting.
5) You will get an SMS on the time and date when porting will take place. The process is said to complete after 4 days of applying.
6) After porting is complete, wait for an SMS from your new operator confirming the switch.
7) Your phone may be offline for about 2 hours when the porting takes place.
A maximum of Rs. 19 will be charged by any of telecom operators for porting a mobile number.