How To Install Apps in MS Office 2013 Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint
Till Microsoft Office 2010, what we knew was Add-Ins which were added to impart some additional features. Microsoft office 2013, however support apps which could be installed in any Office product to bring new functionality. These are just like addons for Web Browsers.
For example: You can install Merrian Webster dictionary app to MS Word 2013, then Definitions of words inside document could be found just by selecting text.
Or you may add Twitter app to Outlook which brings interactive Twitter activity right inside your emails.
At the moment, Apps are available for Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and SharePoint only. While MS has said that there will soon be apps coming for PowerPoint 2013 too.
How to Install Apps in MS Office 2013
- Go to Office 2013 App Store.
- Select the app to install and click on “Add” button.
- You will be prompted to sign in if not already.
- Open Office application where you chose to install app. (Maybe Excel, Word, etc.)
- Click the Insert Menu button >> Office Apps >> click See all
For Project, click the Apps icon on the Project ribbon
- In the dialog that pops up, click OFFICE STORE, then click Refresh
- Chosen app will appear, select it and click the Insert button at the bottom of the dialog.
Watch the video below where I have demonstrated installation of Dictionary app and its working in Word 2013.
How to Uninstall Apps in Office 2013
I couldn’t get exactly the procedure to remove or uninstall Office 2013 apps. However, from Apps Management page, you can hide certain apps which are then not shown in list.