How to Prepare SD Card for App to SD Partition on Android
With an Android SmartPhone at hand we love to install and try tons of applications. The main problem with devices like Galaxy Ace is that the phone memory is too low to support our expectation. As a result long before we are satisfied the “Low on Memory” notification pops up. The only way to tackle this problem is having our applications moved to SD card. But it is not simple to move apps.
For this purpose the ROM we are using must support this feature. Earlier we have covered FirstUA and SanGingerACE ROMs which has this feature inbuilt. These Roms has Darktremor Apps2SD script pre included which helps us to do so.
In an app2sd enabled ROM only thing we need to do is partition our SD cards. The partition should be done in such a way that it consists of one FAT 32 format for general use and other EXT 4 for App2SD. There are two very easy ways in which this can be done. So let’s see what they are.
How to partition SD card for App2SD
The first method that we are going to discuss is using windows and the second method can be directly used from your Android phone.
Note: Before proceeding to further steps it is mandatory that you back up your SD card data on your system. You will lose all your data during the format.
- Download and install the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.
- Keep the SD card ready in an external card reader.
What is MiniTool Partition Wizard and how to use it?
MiniTool Partition Wizard is a freeware windows desktop application. It not only helps in formatting SD cards in several formats but also is complete disk management software that offers tons of useful features. Using this application is simple.
It can work with pre allotted tasks; as a result you do not have to sit and wait to perform operations turn by turn. Hence make you choices and apply them at once, no need to look back.
Once you have got this software installed proceed to the next steps:
- Put the card reader in usb with the SD inserted.
- Open MiniTool Partition Wizard and you will see the SD card.
- Select it by a single click and right click on the drive. From right click options select delete.
- Now you will see the whole space as unallocated. Right click on it and create.
- Now the first partition to be created is the FAT 32. Create it as primary.
- Select space you want for normal SD leaving space for the EXT 4 partition.
- Once the above step is done again click on the left over unallocated partition and create again. Click ok on any warning and make the partition as logical and in EXT 4. The size of this partition is already decided from the FAT 32 partition.
- After completing all these steps click on Apply button on right hand upper menu. Sit back and wait for the application to complete its job.
Using Android Phone
- Clock Work Mod Recovery- Installation Guide.
- Working SD card inserted into phone.
After getting the above things ready, proceed with the given steps:
- Boot into CWM (keep Middle button + Power button pressed in off state).
- Scroll down to advance options (second last option).
- In Advance and Debugging Menu go to Partition SD Card (second last option).
- Select EXT and swap partition size according to your needs and overall size of the SD card.
- Wait till the process completes. You will get a success message if things are done.
Which of the above method is better?
It depends on situations. If you are having enough time then it’s better to go by the desktop application. There you can directly format to EXT 4 if your android file system is utilizing EXT 4. But in present version of CWM 184.108.40.206 the partition made is EXT 3. So this method is suitable only when the above method is not present at hand.