Fix “Unable To Connect” Error While Adding Gmail Account in Windows 8 Mail App
Windows 8 has inbuilt Mail App which by default adds Live account but also gives option to add other Email accounts too. Here, we will learn how to configure Google account with Metro Mail, People and Calender app.
How to Add Gmail in Windows 8 Mail app?
- Open Mail app and move your cursor to right side.
- Click on Settings icon (Gear).
- Click on Accounts >> Add Account >> Google Account
- Enter Google Account Credentials (Username and Password) to Sign in.
If everything goes correct, it will automatically start syncing mails from Gmail. In some case, you may get an error “Unable to Connect. Ensure Information entered is correct”
How to Fix Unable to Connect Error in Windows 8 Mail app
There are 3 possible solutions to fix it.
A. Restart After Windows Update – After installing Windows 8, updates do get downloaded automatically but aren’t installed actually. This was the problem in my case which caused Google account adding error.
Fixing this is actually easy, you just have to install and restart Windows 8.
- Go to Homescreen (Press Windows button)
- Right click and click on “Show all Apps” icon on bottom right.
- List of Apps will open and on this screen, move cursor to right side and click on “Search icon” (Magnifying Glass)
- Type “Windows Update” and Settings will open.
- Here, click on “Update and Restart” button.
B. Try using @googlemail.com instead of @gmail.com while entering Username to sign in as suggested by user in a forum.
C. Generate Application Specific Password
If you have enabled 2 step verification on Google account then you need to generate new password for logging in.
- Go to Google Account Security Settings
- Click “Edit” in front of “2 Step Verification”.
- Manage Application Specific Passwords.
- Generate New Password and use this password to login Windows 8 Mail app.