Install Read / Write Indian Language Fonts on Android
Android Phones released these days in India generally comes with atleast Hindi Font support but again it depends upon Manufacturer; Google doesn’t provide it. And after Flashing Custom ROMs, you even lose that so, here is a way to install Indic fonts / Indian Regional Languages on Android.
It all depends on Font and you just need proper Font which supports these languages whether unicode or whatever. You need following things to proceed:
- Rooted Android Device
- ES File Explorer (Free download from Android Market)
- DroidSansFallback.ttf Indic TrueType Font
Root access is necessary as we are installing Font in System Root Directory. If you haven’t rooted, You should search google “Root <device name>” or use popular one click rooting tools like Z4Root, Super One click root, etc.
Font Supports most popular Languages of India:
- Hindi, Marathi, Sanskrit (Devnagri Script)
- Bengali / Bangla
- Punjabi / Gurmukhi
How to install regional Fonts on Android
- Download the Font and Save it in SD Card
- Open ES File Explorer – In settings, Enable Root Explorer and Mount System as RW
- Copy the file from SD Card root and Paste it to /System/Fonts (Overwrite if necessary)
- Test if Fonts are rendering properly by sending an SMS from SMS440 or open some website in regional language.
Font is not restricted to just SMS Messages but also applicable everywhere on System. Like you can browse websites from browser, read Emails, etc and there will be no more Boxes or Question Marks symbol.
Note: There is a problem with rendering of joint alphabets in some languages but they still it is readable. Font link will be updated if I find some other good font with proper rendering and appearance.
Install Regional Language Keyboard and Write Multilingual
After installing the fonts, you may implement it even to write in various languages. For that, you need proper keyboard.
I found some language Keyboards which I am listing here.
- Write Hindi Keyboard for Android (Marathi Sanskrit Nepali Devanagari Font Keyboard) – Download
- Write Kannada Keyboard for Android – Download
- Write Bangla keyboard for Android – Download
- Write Punjabi Keyboard for Android – Download
- Write Telugu Keyboard for Android – Download
- Write Malayalam Keyboard for Android – Download
- Urdu / Arabic Keyboard for Android – Download
- Gujarati Keyboard for Android – Download
All above fonts require Font already installed on Phone else they will type in English only.
[alert type=”default or success or info or warning or danger”]Find Free Alternatives For Paid Android Apps All In One Place[/alert]
P.S. I could find only few Language Keyboard layout, if you find or have developed one for your language, please comment and let us know so that we will include in post and all will be benefited.